In this episode, I share a simple mental model, ARM, for thinking about crafting fulfilling work that has emerged over many conversations in the last eighteen months.
The ARM model is a mental model to help you intentionally craft a more fulfilling job and career.
I get really fired up about career-related topics, because I really care about seeing a world of people that are fully alive. And work is a huge factor in crafting a life that makes you feel fully alive. So getting this area of your life to be a source of energy, meaning, and positive emotion is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
Update: I’ve now released a follow-up episode answering four questions about the model that have come up since this episode was released. Check it out here.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES
- VIA Character strengths survey
- Andrew’s original Tweetstorm on ARM model (expanded version of these ideas)
- Related episodes:
- Books and other resources
- Brené Brown – values list
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You
- Designing Your Life
- The Infinite Game
- Job crafting
- 80,000 Hours Guide: A guide to using your career to help solve the world’s most pressing problems
- Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential